Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sweet Potatoes & Pastina

I started making my own baby food when Jay Jay was about 3 1/2 months old. I bought a pretty basic food grinder from Babies R Us for about $25 bucks and so far it has last me more than 2 years. I tend to start my kids on solid food around 5 months. After they are sitting up, and are able to be spoon fed cereal.

Sweet Potatoes & Pastina
  • 1/4 cup Pastina - the kind that I buy is made by Ronzoni, they are itty bitty star shaped Pasta.
  • 2 Med sized Sweet Potatoes

For 3 Days worth- Clean Sweet Potatoes and poke whole with a fork all over. Bake at 350 for about an hour or until squishy to the touch. About 15 minutes before the potatoes are done, add 1/4 cup pastina to about about 5 cups boiling water boil. Cook about 6-7 minutes.

When potatoes are done remove skin and mash eiither with a fork (works well for older babies) or add to your baby food maker and puree until smooth


I usually make enough Baby Food to last a few days, up to a week. If I find a really good sale on certain veggies I will make the baby food and freeze it in ice cube trays. When completely frozen I pop them out and then separate them into individual baggies, mixing and matching as I see fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment